Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions - hmmmm, really?

Well, it's a whole new year and that means time for New Year's resolutions. At first I didn't plan on making any and then I thought it through and decided I would.

My biggest goal is actually a family resolution. We bought the book "The Children you Want With the Kids you Have" by Marie Ricks last week. We've been to a number of her classes at BYU-I Education Week and LOVE them. If you ever get a chance to go to one of her classes, GO! We've tried her system a number of times, it works, then we fall off the band wagon as we forget exactly how it goes. Hopefully now that we have the book and the family rules in writing it will help. So basically our goal is to get on a better family contribution/cleaning schedule with the kids.

Okay, onto me! I've still got to ask Barry what his goals are. I think his foremost one is going to be to finish his Master's Degree - and then have a textbook burning party probably.

1. Participate in NaNoWriMo, a writer's challenge I found out about from one of Barry's cousins to write 50,000 words during the month of November, aka a novel. I can about 100% guarantee you it won't be great but I will at least have done it! I've always wanted to write one so hopefully this will actually get the job done.

2. Potty train Kayli. Okay, so this might not exactly qualify but it is must for this year and one I hate to do so I think it counts. I'm hoping she'll be fairly easy about it. She already likes to come and tell me about needing changed and say "Ewww, gross!". It's really funny. You should hear it.

3. Teach Karina to ride a two-wheeler. Hmm, now that I think about it, this goal should go under Barry's list and he's the one that taught the other two. Does it count if I make a goal to have Barry do it?

4. Actually update our blog. See, I'm already doing great! My goal is to update our family blog, or have kids do it (I know Barry never will) once a week. It'll be fun to read it at the end of the year and review everyone's antics.

5. Get a full 3-months worth of food storage and household items. Seriously, I am bad at keeping track of this one. We may very well have it and I don't know it because it's not kept track of. Years ago Barry got me the Food Storage Planner program and every so often I get on and use it. (Like, maybe once a year.) I'll get on, update everything we have, get gung-ho for a little bit. Theoretically every time something is bought you are supposed to add it onto your computerized inventory or remove it every time it is used. Umm, never happens. I'll totally quit because it just seems like such a big task and so long away to finish. So, I figure 3 months ought to be a lot easier, right? I'm thinking we might be realistically close to that in some areas but this way I can actually see a big fat 100% at some point in time where the other way I never will. Plus, it's nice knowing if something happens we can survive. We definitely enjoyed having it last semester while Barry was only working part-time.

You know, I think that is plenty of resolutions for this year. Here is a big Happy New Year to everyone and may you all have joy and success in your New Year's Resolutions and I'll look forward to seeing mine all done at the end of the year.

No comments: