Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Merry is the Month of May....

Rain, rain, rain and more rain.  Barry and I are really liking the rain for a few reasons: it's not snow, my very few plants that made it past a dead seed are growing nicely now and lastly we don't have to water our lawn,  The latter being a definite bonus since our sprinkler system is still broke.  Our tulips are blooming (at least those that Kayli didn't pick when her dad said she could pick all the dandelions she wanted) and all four of the kids have turned into trampoline magnets again.

Our highlight for the month is Braden turning twelve and receiving the priesthood.  He looks great in his new suit and you should see how his demeanor changes when he puts it on.  It's fantastic to watch!  Haha.  I'm sure that in combination with graduating from primary has affected his attitude change at church.  All the grandparents came up to see him ordained.  Barry and Kent happily brought Braden to priesthood beforehand and I can't decide who was smiling the biggest, Barry or Braden.  I got a good laugh out of it.  He also finished up his Faith in God award and received that, too.  He did a great job passing the sacrament his first time and it was fun to watch, although Kayli was wondering where Braden went since he wasn't by us.  Braden did say the Bishop wants him to start sitting up on the stand to be a "messenger" for him.  Hopefully we won't get Kayli trying to escape up that and get her buddy.

Kayli this month has decided she REALLY likes going to grandparents houses.  She's been asking a lot lately to go to Grandpa's.  When we came home from church on Sunday she crossed her arms over her straps when I tried to unbuckle her.  She then told me, "No!  Grandpa's!" and wanted to leave right then to go.  We had to coerce her in to eat lunch first.  They was great joy when we finally headed out.  Now, whenever she doesn't get what she wants, she starts crying for Grandpa.  It's really funny to watch as she is such a drama queen. :-)

All the active boys that attend my Webelos group have graduated.  This leaves just Tyler and I until the middle of July.  I'm sure Tyler will be excited to find out he gets to pick out anything he wants to do out of the book.  This also, of course, makes him the oldest cub scout and I'm sure he'll love that. I keep calling every week for the other two and hopefully they'll start coming, too, but if not we'll have a good time.  One bonus is that since Tyler is the only one, Barry gets to take him to Webelos overnight camp instead of my going.  Haha.  Garrett, we are hoping you'll come, too, since Barry took Braden, Seth and Zach together.

Karina has been my gardening buddy this month.  She helped setup a potting bench with me, replant our strawberry plant from the store, plant all the seeds in the tray, and has dubbed herself The Waterer.  She got to pick out a new watering can and loves to make sure they all have a drink.  I'm hoping she'll get Grandma Dawn's genes for growing and not mine since she likes it so much.

Barry has started working away again on his master's paper.  I'm not sure how it is going but he seems to spend some time on it every night since summer session has started.  I'm crossing my fingers that he can still finish up in December or May at the lastest since he has to take a cumulative test on every class he's taken.

As for me, I've spent a fair amount of time at the auto mechanics this month.  I was driving the van and it started lurching and jerking on me, then acting like it was going to stall.  It's been in twice already and it is still having problems on occasion.  It was interesting trying to get us places as the truck was in the shop getting a new clutch.  Hence, we had a five-seater car with six people.  We're really grateful to Mom and Dad Hansen for letting us borrow their blue car. The mechanic and Barry keep telling me it is fine for them now so I'm not happy about looking like a silly woman who doesn't know what she is talking about.  We were out delivering phone books Saturday, though, and it started doing it again so Barry finally got to hear it and I told him, "See!  See!  It really does have problems!".  He wasn't too happy to see I was right after all.  So, those two trips plus getting a new clutch in the truck set us back about $2,000.

Barry would love to share this next funny story so I'd better include it.  We decided to try delivering phone books so Braden could earn money for scout camp.  That didn't end up working out so well as it turned into a whole family project to get it done.  We were on the last road and couldn't find it on the delivery map anywhere.  I turned to Barry like we were in luck and said, "Oh, you know?!  There is a phone book right behind my seat.  It'll have a map in it."  I meant the blue phone book from the house that was already in the van and had totally forgotten about the ton in the back.  Barry looked at me with this mocking incredulous look and in a shocked tone said, "A PHONE BOOK? WOW, REALLY?!"  Then I realized what I'd said and we just busted up laughing.  I laughed so hard I cried.  I guess you had to be there but we were all laughing hysterically at it.  For any of you ever thinking of trying this sometime, though, don't.  WAY too much time for the amount you get paid.

That's all for this month.  Everyone have a good memorial day weekend!

No comments: