Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Karina's learned how to ride a bike!

For Memorial Day weekend, we went to Cherry Springs with Barry's family on Saturday.  Kent and Linda brought up their trailer so we'd have somewhere dry to play while it rained.  Our family really likes to bike ride so we all brought our bikes to ride the trails on.  Karina has tried several times to learn to ride a bike but didn't have any success.  I think it is because he bike is so heavy.  It is heavier than any of the other bikes we own and I didn't even clue into that until it was too late.

I took the big kids riding around while Barry worked with Karina.  When we all got back together Karina had learned to ride her bike!  Barry said she was really needing help and then all of the sudden she just took off and went.  She was SO happy!  The big parking lot worked out in our favor as she had lots of room to ride and show us.  Of course, as with anyone learning to ride she had a few good crashed and required band-aids by the end of the night but she had a good time.

On Sunday we were talking about it some more and discussing how it is about time for Karina and Tyler to move up in bike sizes.  We talked about spray painting Tyler's bike pink for Karina and he would use Braden's old one.  Then mom had an epiphany!  My old banana bike that I got when I was her age was still in Grandpa and Grandma Gallafent's storage and it's PINK.  Was being the operative word because we drove down that evening and went and picked it up from Grandpa and Grandma.

Grandpa and Grandma were so sweet and got it all ready for her.  Karina is really excited that she gets to ride mommy's old bike and it is in great condition since it was stored in a good place for so long.  The bike itself is just a little bit big for her but it will fit her for a long time at least.  I know that for a fact because I took a spin around on it and it almost wasn't even too small for me since I had the big seat to slide back on.  Ah, the good old days and the memories!  I remember riding circles and circles around Grandpa and Grandma Scott's unfinished upper addition during the winter when Angela and I got those bikes for Christmas.  I think they held off on finishing it just so we could come ride our bikes in circles for hours every Sunday at their house.  I get they loved the constant drone of that. :-)

So, our pretty princess finally learned how to ride a bike, she won a new pink bike helmet last month and she just got a new-to-her pink bike.  How much better can it possibly get for a 7-year old?  Haha. 

No comments: