Monday, October 13, 2008

Welcome to Winter - yeck.

I'll start by saying it's late so I always ramble. However, now is a better time for me to do our update than later.

Life has been busy around here since I posted last Wednesday. Angela came to stay on Thursday and Friday while she attended a real estate broker training class. She had lots of fun laughing at us and telling me she feels like a squirrel when she comes to our house - aka always hoarding food while she is here. You should have seen her face when I told her I needed to pick all the corn and we walked out there. She got a look of disbelief and less than unenthusiastically said, "ALL of it?" She said later she was looking at the field thinking she was going to have to pick the field of dreams. In reality as you know it wasn't very much and we did end up having fun with it.

She did manage to time her visits for the last two weeks just right, though. Last week was potato gleaning and this week we had to get all the corn and onions in because it was supposed to freeze that night. Oh, and then there are the usual chicken duties and collecting the eggs. Unfortunately I didn't realize the corn would go bad within days and we've already had to throw some out. We will be doing what survives tomorrow night for family home evening. Who knew corn went bad within days of picking? It survives at the store just fine and we all know that stuff isn't fresh.

Saturday the kids and I went to Pocatello to help Barry on the house. I didn't get much done but Barry and I really enjoyed actually spending time together. Kayli was such a good girl, too, and just hung out for HOURS while we worked! It was quite unusual but very nice.

Later Saturday evening I went to drop off Tyler and Karina (Braden had stayed the night at A's) to Angela's while we worked. However, on the way I was turning from a stop sign and kept on going. I flipped around slid right toward a bunch of cars. I stopped in the middle of the road and missed hitting a lady and scraping down her side with my front by an inch. I actually ended up facing her driver's door. She was very nice about it. However, I was freaking out elected to go back to Agate and stay there since we were now facing that direction again anyway. That was horrible sliding toward her knowing I had no control and we were going to hit. It really was a miracle we didn't.

I called A and told her we weren't coming and Braden might have to stay longer as I wasn't going to drive and come and get him. Fortunately, Brent was there and drove the truck while Barry drove the van when we went home. I REALLY appreciated that as I was still really scared to drive. I did have to drive from Brent's and was white knuckled, again, the whole way. Geesh, I told Barry he needs to teach me how to drive on ice and snow better since obviously I am really crappy about it. I thought I was being careful, too.

Today we've had a nice relaxing day and just hung out. At church the library is still under construction so I was working out of boxes on the stage. The copier was at the other end of the church, too. It made for nice running around and a little chaos. Hopefully the remodel will actually get finished this week so we can get everything put back together by next week.

After church we came home and I got to take a four hour nap!!!! It was SO nice. I have been up very late every night this week either visiting with Angela, up with a baby or who knows what. I got 4 1/2 hours of sleep on Friday so I know it was needed.

Apparently the kids were out playing in the snow while I slept. Our front room is now lined around the fireplace with wet coats, etc. I'm glad to see all the kids are so excited for winter. As for me, after yesterday I'd like to just skip straight to spring, please.

1 comment:

Debs said...

I can't even imagine snow, but I'm jealous! It finally cooled off a little here, to a high of 96. Snow sounds very fun, if not a little out of place.